The Journey: Back to Brucetown

On Oct. 24, 1862, the regiment moved with the brigade from its camp east of Winchester to a new camp within a mile south of Brucetown, a community about seven miles northeast of Winchester.

The purpose of the move was “to get wood and water,” Minutemen of Attala Private Mike Hubbert wrote in his diary. The men could also wash their clothes in the nearby Opequon Creek, which flowed northeast into the Potomac River, though they found the creek water quite cold for bathing.

There was a bit of excitement, Hubbert continued, when some of the brigade “chased and caught a red fox” that suddenly jumped from the brush. “…quite a miracle,” Hubbert concluded.

It rained all day on Sunday, the 26th, discomfiting the men of the 17th regiment whose camp unfortunately collected water.

On the 28th, the 13th’s quartermaster clerk William H. Hill of the Spartan Band wrote that it was clear and cold after “a large frost” overnight.

But the men had to fall in for brigade inspection in the morning and joined the division that afternoon for a general review by Generals Longstreet and McLaws.

“The ceremonies were made much more pleasant by the presence of a number of the fair sex,” 17th regiment Private Robert A. Moore recorded.

On Wednesday the 29th, the brigade held drill in the evening which Gen. Barksdale concluded, as he often did, with a bayonet charge.

About Dick Stanley

Retired Texas daily newspaperman
This entry was posted in Barksdale's Mississippi Brigade, Gen. James Longstreet, Gen. Lafayette McLaws, Mike M. Hubbert Diary, The Minute Men of Attala, The Spartan Band, William H. Hill Diary and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to The Journey: Back to Brucetown

  1. Rocky Lockley says:

    These camps have been detected since the 70’s. I have heard of many relics recovered and personally found a few. A friend digging with me found a relic that would put to rest any doubt as to who was there in 1862.
    An Enfield bullet was recovered that at first glance seemed just like all the others except it had its nose cut down to be more like a snub-nose. When this bullet was being cleaned up with water and a toothbrush the engraved letters started coming out. After calming down a little the letters formed a name and a message.
    G.M. Mott was carved from bottom to top on one side and “To Old Abe” was carved on the other!!
    After searching the internet for less than 5 minutes I had a hit that showed George M. Mott, Company E, 13th Mississippi had been a part of the entire war. Much more research produced his war records with the battles he participated in and which one he missed due to sickness or furlough. There is even a picture of his grave marker showing he died 1906.
    I have pictures of this amazing relic if you’d like to see it. If you have any other information it would be greatly appreciated.

  2. Dick Stanley says:

    Thanks for the comment, Rocky. That’s interesting. Send your pictures to scribbler AT texasscribbler dot com and I’ll post them on the site.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s