The Battle of Fredericksburg

Saturday, Dec. 13, 1862, dawned warm and very foggy on the slopes of Marye’s Heights above Fredericksburg.

The 13th Regiment and the rest of the Mississippi brigade had slept in line of battle, in the center of the Confederate line.

They awoke to find the fog extending down to the river south of the town where the Union army—later estimated to outnumber the Rebels by four to one—was assembled, waiting to begin their attack. When the fog was all gone at 10 a.m. they did.

“It was clear the balance of the day,” Spartan Band quartermaster clerk William H. Hill wrote in his diary. “The enemy advance[d] and gave us battle. “

In addition to the infantry awaiting them were the great guns that Gen. James Longstreet’s chief of artillery, Colonel Edward Porter Alexander, had carefully emplaced on Marye’s Heights. Said Alexander: “A chicken could not live on that field when we open on it.”

In a paper for the Southern Historical Society in 1882, Alexander recalled:

“…[when] the melting of the fog exposed the plain to view, three long lines of battle and clouds of skirmishers were visible, already moving slowly across the plain, while [their] numerous batteries opened a tremendous fire upon the Confederate lines.

“[Nevertheless] no sooner did the deployment [of French’s division of Union infantry] on the line of the flags begin than the [Rebel] artillery, disregarding the fire of the enemy’s batteries, poured a storm of canister down the slopes, and the infantry, hitherto silent, opened so deadly a fire that the [Union] ranks were entirely swept away before the deployment was completed, and the flags were left standing alone and waiving [sic] over but a line of killed and wounded, while the Confederates jeered at their discomfited foes, and shouted, ‘set them up again’…

“Hancock’s division, with what had been rallied from French’s, mounted the hill, and passing over French’s fatal line of flags pushed more gallantly for its goal…[When] Hancock’s foremost ranks were within one hundred yards…the murderous [Rebel] muskets were again turned on the line already roughly used by the guns on the hill…which fast broke into fragments the Federal assault…in twenty minutes, these coverts being probed by shells, the bloody field was again deserted.”

And so it went, charge after charge, all day long, as the Union army fruitlessly threw away more than twelve thousand of the boys in blue.

“…until long after dark,” Winston Guards Private William Little Davis later wrote home, “the battle raged furiously on both wings but our center still remained untouched. [It was] one of the bloodiest of the war. It is all together a one sided affair. The enemy loss is tremendous while ours is slight…our brigade was not engaged…it being posted in the center of the line which the enemy did not attack.”

“We repulsed them with terrible slaughter at all points,”  Hill recorded. “The field is covered with their dead and wounded.”

Added Alexander: “….the ground was so thickly strewn that from the base of the hill it seemed in places to be carpeted with blue.”

About Dick Stanley

Retired Texas daily newspaperman
This entry was posted in Barksdale's Mississippi Brigade, Battles: Fredericksburg, Gen. James Longstreet, The Spartan Band, The Winston Guards, William H. Hill Diary and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to The Battle of Fredericksburg

  1. Jo Anzalone says:

    I just this week completed a 5 day trip following the path of the 13th in the time period from Manassas to Gettysburg and have some 760 pictures I took of their route, where they camped, where they forded rivers, waited for trains, fought battles, etc. Fredericksburg is one of the more-visited places and we stayed in an old inn right on Caroline St. If anyone is interested in seeing the pictures of the more famous places or the more obscure, like the campsite at the Old Waterloo Road bridge, you can visit here:
    It’s called Confederate Footsteps. I’m writing the story of my great, great grandfather from Louisville MS, Jonathon James McDaniel of the Winston Guards and decided to see how much of him I could track down. It’s called All That’s Left of Me because in
    March of ’64 he’s exchanged to the 5th MS and fights around Atlanta then goes with Hood up into TN where he loses a leg at Spring Hill.

  2. Dick Stanley says:

    Great, Jo. Thanks for commenting. Some of those pictures are really good.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s